Field Trips to Rader Family Farms are a great way to educate children through entertainment. In 2016, we hosted over 6,000 school children and their parents from in and around McLean County. We hope you make a trip to the farm part of your learning experience this fall.
Please make a field trip reservation on the calendar below.
- Register online at the bottom of this page by selecting a time slot in the calendar. An email confirmation will be sent once your reservation is complete.
- All field trips MUST be paid in full two weeks prior to your field trip date. Wristbands will be mailed to you in advance of your date. All students, parents and teachers must arrive at the farm with their wristbands on the day of the field trip.
- Make your payment through Paypal or mail a check to: Rader Family Farms, Attn: Field trips, 1238 Ropp Road, Normal, IL 61761. Please include the name of your School/Group and the date/time of your field trip in the Notes/Comments section when making your deposit on Paypal. This is critical for us to apply your deposit to the correct field trip.
- If there are additional wristbands needed for children or parents, they can be purchased at Admissions the day of the field trip. Please note: the field trip will not wait to start for those purchasing a wristband the day of the field trip. We ask that you do your very best to get numbers correct and finalize ALL payments prior to the field trip
Things to Know Regarding Field Trips
- Field trips are intended for ages 3 and Up. If younger, please consider coming on Mommy & Me Mondays, when Moms get in for half price with their child's paid admission.
- Field Trip Hours - Field trips begin at 9am, 10:30am, and 12pm on Tuesday - Friday
- No field trips on Mondays.
- Spots are filled on a first come, first serve basis.
- Allow approximately 2 hrs for your field trip.
- Please arrive promptly at your designated time. We reserve the right to shorten the tour of groups that arrive 15 minutes past their tour time.
- Dress appropriately for outside weather. Shoes must be worn! Closed toe shoes are best. Wear jackets, hats and gloves on cooler days.
- Accessible restroom facilities are available around the farm.
- We encourage you to bring your own drinks to have during or after your field trip. Water fountains are not available. Drinks are also available for purchase.
- Please review the Farm Safety Information on our Website prior to your visit
Field Trip Admission Charges
- No charge for teachers and aides
- No charge for 2 parent/teachers for Homeschool groups
- $7.00 charge for each child
- Parents are $4.00 each. Two and under are free, No limit on number of parents
- Sorry, Season Passes do not Include Field Trip Admission. This is a special event with movie, popcorn, guided tour, hayride
- Field trips require a minimum of 10 children
- Smaller groups may be combined with another group for the field trip
- Full payment required before field trip wristbands will be mailed out
- The minimum charge for a field trip is $70
- Once you have paid in full for your group, there are no refunds if the parents or students do not end up coming. Please double check your numbers before paying.
- Cancellations made more than 2 weeks (14 days) prior to the field trip date will receive a refund
The $7.00 Field Trip admission fee includes:
- View a farm movie in the Little Schoolhouse and enjoy a bag of popcorn
- Take a guided tram ride to the pumpkin patch and learn how pumpkins grow
- Pick your own pumpkin from the patch (for students and paid siblings only)
- Receive a copy of “The Ag Mag on Pumpkins” in a take home bag
- Play time on all the farm adventures
- Visit the animals in the Little Barnyard
- Play in the Crow's Nest playground
- Play in the Little Village (children 6 and under only)
- Jump on the exciting Jumping Pillow
- Entrance to Kiddie Corn Maze
- Use of the picnic area (please reserve when booking field trip)
- All day admission to all the "farmtastic" adventures at Rader Family Farms
Additional Field Trip Options
- Bon Fire & Sticks: $25 fee/make request when booking field trip
- Little Farmer Lunch: Includes a hot dog, chips and drink box. $4/lunch
- Ranch Hand Special: Two dozen donuts, one gallon apple cider and cups. $30/order
As the teacher, you know the needs of your class best. We at Rader Family Farms encourage and expect a student to teacher/chaperone ratio of 5 to 1 or better. This will help us ensure the safety of your children, as we are not able to supervise the children.
- Please bring inhalers etc. for any child who may have allergies or asthma or may experience difficulties while playing on and around straw or other farm activities. A list of emergency contact phone numbers is always a good idea, too.
- Please encourage children to dress appropriately for the weather. Closed toe shoes are always best! Don't forget jackets, hats and gloves for those cool fall days.
- Please know that our field trip schedules are tight, and so we ask that your group arrives at your designated time. We may not be able to accommodate late arrivals.
- We encourage you to bring your own drinks to have during or after your field trip.
- Popcorn ingredients include: hydrogenated coconut oil, palm oil, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, beta carotene color (E160a), artificial and natural flavoring, salt, FD&C Yellow #5 Lake (E102), FD&C Yellow #6 Lake (E110), soy.
Sowing Seeds in Second
Sowing Seeds in Second is a unique field trip designed just for second graders and will provide a unique and fun introduction to agriculture and an appreciation for all the things that begin on the farm. Our mission at Rader Family Farms is to educate while we entertain and we hope to do just that for all the second graders who are sponsored to attend as a part of this program. These field trips are available in September only.Please note that this is a pilot program that began in 2015 and we hope to expand it each year. Your 2nd grade class must be invited to be a part of the program in order to sign up for this particular field trip.
How to Sign Up for the ‘Sowing Seeds in Second’ Field Trip
- Click on the Field Trips & Events link near the top of the page and select Field Trips from the drop-down menu.
- Scroll down to the calendar near the bottom of the page and select a date and time in September and follow the New Reservation process. Three time slots are available each Tuesday through Friday, 9:00, 10:30, and 12:00.
- The guided portion of the field trip will last about 1.5 hours. The classes are welcome to stay and play at the farm if time allows. Picnic areas are available if the class would like to bring a lunch.
- Enter the information on the field trip sign up form and complete the sign up process.
- Select "Sowing Seeds in Second' on the sign up form under the Field Trip Deposit.
- We ask only a couple things from each class
- Wear your Sowing Seeds in Second T-Shirts for the field trip
- Make sure you attend on your scheduled date and time.
- Be on time as we have field trip guides ready and waiting to lead each group around the farm.
- Send a note of thanks to the generous "Sowing Seeds in Second" Sponsors after your time spent at the farm. Addresses will be provided to the teacher at the field trip.